Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Flood week


This picture is the picture of my house during the flood. As you can see, my house is guarded with the sandbags while the water is trying to push into the house. The water level is quite high to the point that normal level automobiles could not go through without dying in the middle of the water. I chose this picture because firstly, it is how I personally relate to the flood and secondly, it has created some troubles for me and my family. However, I believe that it is also a result of the poor government we have, that is inadequate of telling us exactly what actions we have to take. My parents had to spend thousands baht to protect the house with the thought that it would've created more damage if the water was really going into the house and swollen up our newly placed wooden floor.
It is pretty heartbreaking to see that my house is a mess with all the furniture carried up to the second floor, the refrigerator on 3 levels of bricks, and our family evacuating from the house. At first my parents didn't want to move out since we could still walk out of the house (wearing boots), but we finally decided to move out because it of the tension of worring about the situation all the time. One of the reasons why I hate the flood is that my dogs have to move to another place since my family and I are currently staying at our condo in Ekamai, but they do not allow dogs to enter. It's been about a week since we moved out the house and from here we saw that the water isn't rising any further and we've realized that we've spent all those money for nothing. As I have said, if the government could tell us which areas will be flooded, then we wouldn't have to worry and panic about the situation around our neighborhood.
I think Thailand has learned its lesson that results from the flawed system of our water management. However, it is impressive on what the flood can do. We can see through the news about people helping each other by bringing in food, supplies, and needs for those who are in trouble. The flood brings the people together because we all have to help out in order to pass one of the major crises in the history of our natural disaster. There is also one quote that I think is remarkably true which says “คนไทยไม่ทิ้งกัน” which means that Thai people will never give up on one another. I think if we remain like this, helping each other out, then there wouldn’t be any red shirts, yellow shirts, pink shirts, and one day Thailand might reunite as one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment